For the Rolls:
- 500g strong bread flour (plus 3 tbsp extra for kneading)
- 45g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 10g instant dried yeast
- 300ml whole milk
- 45g unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
For the Filling:
- 2 Bramley or other cooking apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- 1.5 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature (very soft but not melted)
Dark Chocolate Topping:
- 50g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 30g unsalted butter
- 115g icing/confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 45ml boiling water
For the Rolls:
- Start with the rolls by adding the flour and sugar to a large bowl. Place the salt on
one side of the bowl and the yeast on the other side (yeast doesn’t appreciate direct
contact with salt). Set this mixture aside.
- Pour the milk into a jug and add the butter. Heat this in the microwave until the butter
has melted, and the liquid is very warm, but not boiling (approximately 60-90
- Add the milk to the flour mixture, then stir it with a wooden spoon and add in the egg.
Give it a good mix with your hands and then transfer the dough to a lightly floured
surface. Knead for about 5 minutes. It may be sticky, but resist the temptation to add
more flour as it can toughen the buns. Alternatively, you can knead using an electric
mixer with a dough hook for 5 minutes.
- Gather the dough into a ball and place it in a bowl that's been lightly greased with
olive or vegetable oil. Cover it with cling film and let it rest for 10 minutes.
For the Filling:
- Peel the apples and finely chop them, then place in a bowl and stir in the lemon juice
to prevent browning. In another bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon, allspice,
cloves, and ginger.
- Grease a large rectangular (35cmx23cm) baking dish with butter or oil. Roll out the
dough on a lightly floured surface into a 30cmx45cm rectangle.
- Spread the soft butter all over the dough, right up to the edges. Sprinkle the spiced
sugar over the butter and arrange the apples evenly, extending them to the edges as
- Roll the dough into a 45cm long roll. Use a length of cotton or a sharp knife to cut off
the ends, then slice the roll into 12 even pieces and arrange them in the baking dish
(3 by 4).
- Place the baking dish in your NEFF oven and use the bread proving function to let
the rolls rise for 30 minutes. They should almost double in size during this time.
- After proving, remove the rolls and preheat the oven to CircoTherm® 175°C with
power boost. Once the oven reaches the desired temperature, place the rolls inside
and turn on low steam. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn off the steam and reduce the
temperature to 170°C. Continue baking for another 10-15 minutes until the rolls are
beautifully browned. If they brown too quickly, you can cover them with foil for the last
- Once the buns are cooked, allow them to cool for 15 minutes while you prepare the
For the Dark Chocolate Topping:
- Place the dark chocolate in a pan with the butter and heat over induction setting 2,
stirring frequently until the chocolate has melted.
- Stir the icing sugar into the mixture using a hand whisk, then add the boiling water a
little at a time while stirring with the whisk, until you achieve a custard-like
- Drizzle the rich chocolate sauce over the apple cinnamon rolls and serve them up,
fresh and delightful.
These Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls are the perfect Halloween treat to share and enjoy
with whoever dares to indulge. The combination of soft, doughy rolls, spiced apples, and
decadent chocolate is devilishly divine.
Master the Magic of CircoTherm® with NEFF Ovens
While we've shared a delicious recipe for Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls, it's time to delve
into the spellbinding capabilities of NEFF's exclusive CircoTherm® oven technology. With
CircoTherm®, you can do so much more than just baking cinnamon rolls - you can create an
entire feast while ensuring that the flavours of different dishes never intermingle.
With CircoTherm®, the culinary possibilities are endless. This innovative oven technology
allows you to evenly cook a variety of dishes simultaneously, all on different oven levels,
without the dreaded flavour transfer. Imagine roasting a succulent turkey on one shelf, while
on another, you bake a batch of Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls, and in the lower tier, a
bubbling pot of hearty stew. CircoTherm® ensures that each dish retains its distinct flavour
The secret behind CircoTherm® lies in its ability to rapidly seal in the flavours. This magic is
achieved by a powerful stainless steel fan drawing air into the oven and then reheating and
redistributing it throughout the oven cavity through strategically placed ducts in the rear wall.
This process not only ensures that your oven reaches the desired temperature swiftly but
also guarantees the even distribution of heat throughout the entire oven.
Retaining Moisture and Flavour
CircoTherm® doesn't stop at even cooking and preventing flavour transfer; it also excels at
retaining moisture in your dishes. This means your roasts stay succulent, your pastries remain tender, and your Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls stay irresistibly moist.
So, with CircoTherm® at your disposal, explore a world of possibilities, experiment with different recipes, and astound your family and friends with your culinary prowess. Whether it's a bewitching dessert or a mouthwatering roast, NEFF's CircoTherm® technology is your trusty kitchen companion. Embrace the magic, and let your culinary creativity soar.
Visit the Kube Kitchens blog for more delectable recipes.