Summer Vegetable Tart
- 180g plain flour
- 100g cold butter, diced
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbsp water.
For the Filling:
- 125g asparagus spears, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 125g peas
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 200ml cream
- 100ml milk
- Salt and pepper
- 125g grated Gruyère cheese
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 bunch chives, chopped.
- To make the pastry. Place the flour, butter and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water a little at a time until a smooth dough is formed. Don't over mix. Wrap the pastry in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it is about 3mm thick. Use the rolling pin to support the pastry and transfer it to a 26cm loose based tart tin. Carefully tuck the pastry into the tin then trim any excess. Chill again for another 30 minutes.
- Blanch the asparagus and peas in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain and refresh in cold water.
- Beat the eggs with the cream and milk. Season with salt and pepper then pour into the pastry case.
- Scatter over the cheese, then the asparagus, peas and spring onions. Finish with the chopped chives. Place in the oven on the bottom shelf. (Shelf Level 1).
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn down the heat to 170°C and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until set and golden brown.