Kay Ager's Meringue Roulade
- 4 egg whites
- 8oz (0.22g) caster sugar
- Whipped cream
- Strawberries, raspberries or any fruit of your choice
- Mint leaves for garnish
- 12 x 8" Swiss roll tin.
Preheat your oven to 180°C or 160°C if using a fan oven.
- Line the Swiss roll tin with tin foil and brush lightly with a non-flavoured oil.
- Beat the egg whites a little and then add the sugar and whisk until mixture holds a stiff peak.
- Spread the meringue gently over the tin with a palette knife, it should be thick and quite bouncy.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Put a sheet of tin foil on the work surface and turn the roulade on to it.
- Remove the base foil and allow to cool.
- To assemble: Spread whipped cream over the roulade, reserving some to pipe on top. Cover with a layer of fruit and carefully roll like a Swiss roll.
- Transfer carefully on to a serving dish.
- Pipe some rosettes of cream on to the top and garnish with fruit and mint leaves.
- Dredge with icing sugar.