Kay Ager's French Style Apricot Jam with Vanilla Makes about 6 jars of jam
- 1.5kg prepared apricots (that is the weight after they have been stoned and quartered). Ideally you should use apricots that are not over-ripe
- 800g Caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod – slit lengthways then each half cut into 3 pieces
- Juice of 2 lemons.
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Put the fruit, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice into a large non-reactive pan or bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Allow to macerate for several hours, stirring occasionally.
- When you're ready to cook your jam, wash and sterilise 6 jars and their lids and keep them hot.
- Put the apricots and all the liquid that has been created over a low heat and stir gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and boil rapidly for 20- 25 minutes until the mixture is thick. To test for setting point – place a teaspoon of the jam onto a cooled plate (pop it in the fridge for a while before starting this recipe). Let the jam cool a little, then give the jam a little push with your finger and if it is ready to set, the surface will wrinkle. If it's not ready boil it for another 4-5 minutes then try the test again.
- Allow the jam to stand for 20 minutes then put it into the warm jars. Make sure that you have a piece of vanilla in each jar. Cover and seal the jars.