Lemon & Summer Berry Cake
- 225g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 225g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml double cream
- Icing sugar to taste
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 150g mixed raspberries and blueberries
- Edible flowers to decorate (optional).
Preheat your Neff oven to 180°C Top & Bottom Heat. Low Added Steam.
- Grease and Line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins.
- Sift the flour and salt together and reserve.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer in a large bowl until soft and fluffy, and then begin to incorporate the beaten eggs a little at a time. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a tablespoon of flour and keep on mixing.
- Once all the eggs are added, fold in the flour, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Spread carefully into the cake tins and cook for 20 minutes or until golden and firm to touch.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes, before turning out to cool
- on a wire rack.
- Beat the cream with a little icing sugar until soft peaks form.
- Spread the lemon curd over the base of one cake. Cover with cream, scatter over the berries.
- Top with the second cake.
- Decorate with a sprinkle of icing sugar and some edible flowers if you wish.